Article Text

Download PDFPDF
108 A comparative study of two operative approaches to prevent lymphocele in pelvic and/or para-aortic lymph node dissection in women with cervical cancer
  1. Anita Ganovska and
  2. Stefan Kovachev
  1. Military Medical Academy, Sofia, Bulgaria


Introduction/Background Lymphatic dissection (LD) (pelvic and/or para-aortic) is an integral part of radical hysterectomy in the treatment of stage IB cervical cancer. It is necessary to determine the stage of the disease, as well as to determine the need for adjuvant therapy.

The aim of the study is to compare the incidence of lymphocele in two operative approaches in patients with stage IB cervical cancer

Methodology The study is single-center, prospective and was conducted in the Clinic for General and Oncological Gynecology for a period of 1 year. 41 (100%) patients with histologically proven cervical carcinoma were included. All patients underwent class C radical hysterectomy with pelvic and/or para-aortic lymphatic dissection. Depending on the operative approach of closing the retroperitoneal space after LD, the patients were divided into two groups. In group 1 were included 23 women who underwent peritonization after LD. In group 2 were included 18 women in whom peritonization was not performed.

Results Squamous cell carcinoma was found in 37 (90.2%) patients, and adenocarcinoma in the remaining 4 (9.8%) women. Lymphocele was found in 12 (29%) patients, and not in the remaining 29 (71%) women. In group 1 (with peritonization), the frequency of lymphocele was 21.9% compared to that in group 2 (without peritonization) – 7.3%, but no statistically significant difference was found. Patients who underwent para-aortic and pelvic lymph node dissection at the same time had a higher incidence of lymphocele (19.5%) than patients who underwent pelvic lymph node dissection alone (9.7%). The incidence (7.3%) of symptomatic lymphocele was higher in group 1 (with peritonization) than in group 2 (2.4%) – without peritonization. After statistical processing of the results, no statistical significance was found in the results.

Conclusion The peritonization of the retroperitoneal space after pelvic/para-aortic lymphatic dissection increases the incidence of lymphocele, which may worsen the patient‘s postoperative period.

Disclosures There are no conflict of interest.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.