Article Text

Download PDFPDF
905 Using chemotherapy response by KELIM score in patient with BRCA-mutated high-grade serous ovarian cancer to predict response to first line olaparib maintenance therapy: an one institution experience
  1. Kristina Katic,
  2. Višnja Matkovic,
  3. Joško Lešin,
  4. Pavao Planinic and
  5. Goran Vujic
  1. University Hospital Centre Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia


Introduction/Background Maintenance therapy with PARP inhibitor (olaparib) is standard of care for patients with BRCA-mutated high grade epithelial ovarian cancer (HGEOC) who have a response to first-line platinum-based chemotherapy. Although the SOLO-1 trial has demonstrated a major benefit of olaparib therapy in first-line treatment, some patients experience progression during it. The modulated CA-125 elimination rate constant K (KELIM) is marker of chemosensitivity and has predictive role for response to first-line treatment. Our aim was to investigate the relationship between the KELIM score and progression to olaparib therapy in BRCA-mutated HGEOC.

Methodology Retrospectively, we have analysed the medical data of patients with BRCA-mutated HGEOC stage III-IV who started first-line olaparib maintenance therapy at the Department of Gynaecologic Oncology, the University Hospital Zagreb from July 2021 to May 2023. The KELIM score was calculated based on at least 3 CA-125 values within the first 100 days of chemotherapy.

Results Our analysis included 21 patients. The median age was 56 years. The ECOG performance status 0–1 had 86% of patients. Most patients (71%) were stage IIIC at presentation. The median duration of olaparib therapy was 10 months (range 6–25 months). At the time of analysis, the disease progression had 7 patients (34%). KELIM score was calculated in all patients. In the group of patients who experienced disease progression during olaparib therapy, 43% had KELIM <1, and the four patients (57%) had KELIM ≥1. In the patients who were still receiving olaparib or stopped therapy after two years and remained disease free, the results were the same: 43% of them had KELIM <1 and the rest of them (57%) had KELIM ≥1.

Conclusion We did not show that KELIM score is a useful tool to predict patients who will progress during olaparib therapy in BRCA-mutated patients but further researching with the larger number of patients are needed.

Disclosures The authors have declared no conflicts of interest.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.