Article Text

Download PDFPDF
1177 Oncological outcomes of stage ii endometrial cancer a retrospective analysis of 250 cases
  1. Akbar Akbar Ibrahimov
  1. Azerbaijan Medical University, Baku, Azerbaijan


Introduction/Background The aimof this studywas to investigate the effect of different surgical approaches, adjuvant therapy, and pathological characteristics on oncological outcomes in patients with 2009 FIGO stage II endometrial cancer.

Methodology A multicenter, retrospective department database review was performed to identify patients with FIGO 2009 stage II EC who underwent surgical staging between 2002 and 2015 at 5 gynecologic oncology centers in Turkey.

Results Original pathology reports of 4867 patients who underwent surgical treatment for EC were analyzed. The study group consisted of 250 FIGO stage II patients. Of these patients, 203 (81.2%) had endometrioid and 47 (18.8%) had nonendometrioid histologic subtype of EC. Whereas 199 patients (79.6%) underwent type I hysterectomy, the remaining 51 patients (20.4%) underwent radical hysterectomy. Of the 250 patients, 208 patients (83.2%) had adjuvant therapy including radiotherapy and/or platinum-based chemotherapy. Disease recurred in 29 patients (11.6%). DFS and OS for the entire cohort were 82%and 85%, respectively. Only adjuvant treatment was significantly associated with DFS. According tomultivariate analysis, only age older than 60 years was identified as an independent risk factor for OS. However, there were no differences in OS when evaluated by grade, histology, tumor size, type of hysterectomy, or adjuvant treatment.

Conclusion In stage II EC, adjuvant RT were associated with increased DFS but not OS. However, the benefit of VBT alone on DFS could not be demonstrated. Only age was an independent risk factor for OS. Type of hysterectomy and histologic subtype of the tumor for patients with uterus-confined disease improved neither DFS nor OS in our study group.

Disclosures Adjuvant treatment, Endometrial cancer, Radical hysterectomy, Stage II.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.