Article Text

Download PDFPDF

EP031/#1486  Genomic profiling and survival outcomes in young Moroccan women with breast cancer
  1. Safaa Kriouile,
  2. Hind M’Rabti,
  3. Ibrahim Elghissassi,
  4. Saber Boutayeb and
  5. Hassan Errihani
  1. National Institute of Oncology Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdellah, Medical Oncology, Rabat, Morocco


Introduction This study addresses the critical impact of genomic profiling on breast cancer severity and survival in young Moroccan women.

Methods A 2021 study at Rabat’s National Institute of Oncology characterized invasive breast carcinoma in Moroccan women under 40, assessing two-year survival rates.

Results The study contained subgroups of ‘luminal’ (53%), ‘triple-negative’ (TN) (23%) and ‘HER2-positive’ (HER2+) (24%) patients. In the ‘HER2+’ group, 81% scored ‘+++’ through immunohistochemistry, while 19% showed ‘++’ plus positive in situ hybridization. Also, 29% were ‘non-luminal’, the remaining 71% of this group being hormonereceptor positive. Patients’ mean age was 35, with ‘Luminal’, ‘TN’, and ‘HER2+’ subtypes ages averaging 35, 33, & 34 respectively. Family history of cancer was prevalent in 18% of cases. The ‘Ki67’ biomarker was elevated in 24% of the total cases (cut-off = 20%). At diagnosis, 19% were already metastatic, including 26% ‘Luminal’, 15% ‘TN’, and 9% ‘HER2+’. In nonmetastatic cases, 26% had ‘T3 or T4’ tumors and 56% were N-positive. Two-year overall survival (OS) was 59%, with 81% (‘HER2+’), 56% (‘Luminal’), and 40% (‘TN’). This was statistically significant according to the log-rank test (p= 0,0433). Non-metastatic and metastatic cases showed 60% and 53% OS respectively. Progression-free survival at two years was 56%, with 76% (‘HER2+’), 56% (‘Luminal’), and 35% (‘TN’). This was also statistically significant (p= 0,0321). OS was 44% for initial ‘T3 or T4’, and 59% for N-positive patients.

Conclusion/Implications This research emphasizes genomic profiling’s role in enhancing personalized therapies and survival rates for young Moroccan breast cancer patients, particularly ‘HER2+’.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.