Article Text

Download PDFPDF
EP480 The impact of gene-specific germline pathogenic variants on clinical presentation of endometrial cancer in Lynch syndrome
  1. G Bogani,
  2. V Chiappa,
  3. A Ditto and
  4. F Raspagliesi
  1. Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale dei Tumori di Milano, Milano, Italy


Introduction/Background Lynch syndrome (LS) is a well know risk factor for developing endometrial carcinoma (EC). Here, we aimed to investigate the impact of gene-specific germline pathogenic variants on clinical features of EC.

Methodology This is a retrospective case series of consecutive surgically-treated patients with histological diagnosis of EC and with a germline pathogenic variant in mismatch repair genes. Classes of risk are graded per the ESGO-ESGO-ESTRO guidelines.

Results Overall, 68 patients with EC and LS were evaluated. Ten (14.7%) patients were excluded due to absence of clear information about the gene involved in LS, thus leaving 58 (85.3%) patients available for the final analysis. MLH1, MSH2 and MSH6 pathogenic variants were observed in 19 (32.7%), 33 (56.9%) and 6 (10.3%) cases, respectively. Mean (SD) age at EC diagnosis was 51 (±6.4), 43.5 (±7.4) and 60.3 (±8.8) years (p=0.0002). Prevalence of non-endometrioid EC were 15.7%, 24.2% and 0% in MLH1, MSH2 and MSH6 group, respectively (p=0.345). Focusing on classes of risk we observed that patients harboring a MLH1 or MSH2 pathogenic variant were at higher risk than patients with a MSH6 mutation. In fact, according to the ESMO-ESGO-ESTRO classification, low, intermediate, and high risk EC accounted in 47.3%, 10.5% and 42.1% of MLH1 group, in 57.6%, 3% and 39.4% of MSH2 group and in 50%, 50% and 0% of MSH6 group (p=0.009).

Conclusion Patients with MLH1 and MSH2 pathogenic variants are at a higher risk of early onset of EC and are characterized by more aggressive disease than patients with MSH6 pathogenic variants.

Disclosure Nothing to disclose.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.