Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Neoadjuvant Bleomycin, Etoposide, and Cisplatin (BEP) Chemotherapy in the Treatment of Extensively Advanced Yolk Sac Tumors: A Single Center Experience
  1. Gong-yi Zhang, MD,
  2. Rong Zhang, MD,
  3. Ling-ying Wu, MD,
  4. Bin Li and
  5. Shu-min Li, MD
  1. Department of Gynecological Oncology, National Cancer Center/Cancer Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, China.
  1. Address correspondence and reprint requests to Rong Zhang, MD, Department of Gynecological Oncology, National Cancer Center/Cancer Hospital, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences and Peking Union Medical College, No. 17 Panjiayuan, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100021, China. E-mail: super0078888{at}sina.com.

Abstract

Objective This study aimed to investigate the role of neoadjuvant bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin (BEP) regimen in patients with extensively advanced yolk sac tumors (YSTs).

Methods Between July 1982 and December 2015, a total of 58 patients with YST were initially treated at our institution, among which 18 were evaluated to be inoperable and received neoadjuvant BEP regimen. They were either too debilitated by the disease [Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Performance Status Scale (ECOG ps) ≥2] to undergo a major surgery or were with too extensively disseminated lesions to be optimally debulked. This cohort of patients was retrospectively reviewed.

Results One or 2 cycles of BEP regimen were prescribed to the majority of patients preoperatively. At the completion of neoadjuvant chemotherapy, 17 of them had ECOG ps of 1 or less. Seventeen (94.4%) exhibited clinical partial tumor regression, and 1 (5.6%) had clinical stable disease. Pathological complete tumor regression was observed in 2 (11.1%) patients, whereas the remaining 16 (88.9%) had nearly complete pathological regression. Seventeen patients were cytoreduced to no macroscopic residual disease; the remaining 1 was cytoreduced to macroscopic residual disease of 2 cm or less. No major surgical complications occurred. After a median follow-up of 83.5 months, 17 patients were free of recurrence. Five-year disease-free survival and overall survival were both 94.4%. Fertility-sparing surgery was carried out in all the 17 patients with the desire to preserve their fertility, and 5 infants were delivered in 6 patients who attempted conception.

Conclusions One or 2 cycles of neoadjuvant BEP regimen followed by cytoreductive surgery offer a chance for cure in extensively advanced patients with YSTs and help pave the way for fertility-sparing surgery.

  • Endodermal Sinus Tumor
  • Neoadjuvant Therapy
  • Bleomycin, Etoposide, Cisplatin
  • Cytoreduction
  • Survival

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Footnotes

  • The authors declare no conflicts of interest.

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.