Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Carboplatin and Paclitaxel in Metastatic or Recurrent Cervical Cancer
  1. Dimitrios Pectasides, MD*,
  2. George Fountzilas, MD,
  3. George Papaxoinis, MD*,
  4. Eirini Pectasides, MD*,
  5. Nicolaos Xiros, MD*,
  6. Constantinos Sykiotis, MD,
  7. Anna Koumarianou, MD*,
  8. Amanda Psyrri, MD*,
  9. John Panayiotides, MD§ and
  10. Theofanis Economopoulos, MD*
  1. *2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Propaedeutic, Oncology Section, University of Athens, "Attikon" University Hospital, Athens;
  2. Departmentof Medical Oncology, "Papageorgiou" Hospital, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki School of Medicine, Thessaloniki;
  3. 3rd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oncology Section, and
  4. §2nd Department of Pathology, University of Athens, "Attikon" University Hospital, Athens, Greece.
  1. Address correspondence and reprint requests to Dimitrios Pectasides, 2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Propaedeutic, Oncology Section, Attikon University Hospital, Rimini 1, Haidari, Athens, Greece. E-mail: pectasid{at}


Objectives: The purpose of this study was to evaluate the activity and toxicity of carboplatin and paclitaxel combination in advanced or recurrent carcinoma of the cervix.

Methods: Fifty-one eligible patients with measurable advanced or recurrent cervical carcinoma were treated with carboplatin (area under the curve, 5) and paclitaxel 175 mg/m2 every 3 weeks for 6 to 9 cycles or until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.

Results: Eight complete (16%) and 19 partial responses (37%) occurred, for an overall response rate (RR) of 53% (95% confidence interval [CI], 39%-67%). The median progression-free survival was 6 months (95% CI, 5.4-6.5 months), and the median overall survival was 13 months (95% CI, 11.4-14.5 months). The RR was higher in patients with disease outside a previously irradiated site compared with those with disease in a previously irradiated field (68% vs 30%) (P = 0.011). Patients previously treated with chemoradiation had an RR of 28%, whereas in those previously treated with radiotherapy alone, the RR was 68% (P = 0.023). There was no statistically significant difference between histology and response to therapy. Patients with performance status of 0 or 1 had a higher RR than those with worse performance status. Toxicity was generally mild except for myelotoxicity. Neutropenia grade 3/4 was recorded in 44% of patients, and 6% experienced febrile neutropenia. Twenty-two percent of patients experienced anemia grade 3-4, whereas 14% had thrombocytopenia grade 3-4. Three patients (6%) developed grade 3 sensory neuropathy.

Conclusion: The combination of carboplatin and paclitaxel seems to have activity in advanced or recurrent cervical carcinoma with an acceptable toxicity profile.

  • Carboplatin
  • Paclitaxel
  • Chemotherapy
  • Cervical cancer

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.