Article Text

PDF
The relationship between human papillomavirus infection and cervical intraepithelial neoplasia in Turkish women
  1. M. M. Inal*,
  2. Ş. KÖSE,
  3. Y. Yildirim*,
  4. Y. ÖZDEMIR*,
  5. E. TÖZ*,
  6. K. Ertopçu*,
  7. İ. ÖZELMAS* and
  8. Ş. Tinar*
  1. * Aegean Obstetrics and Gynecology Teaching and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey; and
  2. Tepecik Teaching and Research Hospital, Izmir, Turkey
  1. Address correspondence and reprint requests to: Mehmet Murat Inal, MD, Department of Gynecological Oncology, Aegean Obstetrics and Gynecology Teaching and Research Hospital, 669 sokak Ata sitesi No: 4/8, Gaziemir 35410, Izmir, Turkey. Email: inal21{at}hotmail.com

Abstract

To compare the prevalence of cervical human papillomavirus (HPV) infection in Turkish women with normal Papanicolaou (Pap) smear and cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN). In between March 2002 and November 2005, the study was designed as case–control study. Cytologic abnormalities in Pap smears were classified according to the Bethesda System (2001). Identification of the presence of HPV was carried out by the Hybrid Capture II test for all patients. To compare the groups, Chi-square test was used. A total of 1353 reproductive aged women were screened. Of them, 1344 (99.3%) had normal or class I Pap smear. Remaining nine cases (0.7%) had CIN at several degrees (five CIN I, three CIN II, and one carcinoma in situ). While all these nine cases with cervical pathologies had HPV, only 20 cases from the other group (1.5%) had HPV (χ2 466.1; P= 0.0001). This is the first study of the evaluation of the association between HPV and preinvasive cervical lesions in Turkish population. In spite of low general frequency (2.1%) of cervical HPV colonization in this population, a strong correlation was found between HPV and CIN.

  • carcinogenesis
  • cervical intraepithelial neoplasia
  • human papillomavirus
  • Pap smear
  • Turkish women

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.