LY355703 is a synthetic product structurally related to the cryptophycin family isolated from the blue-green algae, which exerts a potent destabilization of microtubules during mitosis. This study was performed to determine the activity of LY355703 in patients with platinum-resistant advanced ovarian cancer and to characterize its toxicity profile. Twenty-six patients were enrolled in this study. Resistant disease was defined as a platinum-free interval of <6 months from primary treatment or rechallenge. LY355703 (1.5 mg/m2) was administered intravenously on days 1 and 8, every 3 weeks, infused over 2 h. From 24 patients evaluable for response, three partial responses (12.5%) and seven disease stabilizations were registered (29.2%), for an overall clinical benefit of 41.7%. Fourteen patients (58.3%) experienced a progression of the disease during treatment. Among the 25 patients evaluable for toxicity, two episodes of grade 3 anemia (8%); one, grade 3 thrombocytopenia (4%); one, grade 4 elevation of creatinine (4%); and one, grade 3 hyperbilirubinemia (4%) were reported. LY355703 has a modest activity in patients with platinum-resistant advanced ovarian cancer. Nevertheless, the considerable rate of disease stabilization in the absence of serious adverse events in this poor-prognosis study population suggests that this novel cryptophycin may deserve further investigation in this setting.
- ovarian cancer
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.